Thursday 29 November 2012

Lost Mini-Analysis.

Although Lost is neither a film nor more specifically a thriller film it contains a stock event that would be seen in a thriller film that I wanted to include in my research and take ideas from. The part of my opening sequence is a chase. Quite frequently the directors of Lost have successfully created an effective chase scene which, creates a feeling of tension and uncertainty and therefore would be valuable for my to study in terms of my filming and trying to create the same atmosphere. I have only chosen a few of the codes and conventions which I want to focus on.


Camera Work:
The scene uses a wide range of camera range and angles. The scene starts as Kate emerges from the plane wreckage, the range used here long and the angle is high. This sets the scene and also shows the vulnerability of the three as they try to escape the monster. Following this shot a range of close shots are used. Significantly the one of Jack's face. The proximity of the camera captures the extreme fear on his face. None of the shots are steady shots. All of the have a lot of movement and makes it look like the camera is running away too, creating a lot of excitement and suspense. The majority of the time the shots only show part of the characters bodies. For example at once point we just see a pair of legs running, or a torso, this also makes it more exciting in that, the audience cannot see the whole picture and it, along with the manic shots gives a disjointed effect. Some of the time the camera tracks along side the person that is running. This is most likely to have been done using a track, however I will not have a track to use so if I want to create an effect similar I will have to simply run along side my victim. This good turn out well in that it will have the 'bumpy' effect that is used in Lost as the camera bounces up and down, but it could also end up looking like terrible camera work too, so I will have to do some text runs before I decide whether to use this technique or not. 



Editing:
In total, the chase scene which I am analysing, is one minute long. Throughout this the frame or shot changes just over thirty times. This means that each frame is about two seconds long. All the edits are quick simple cuts changing the shot used. The quick pace of the editing creates the suspense, excitement and tension amongst the audience all of which are typical of a thriller film. When doing the storyboard for my chase scene I had each frame to last about 3 seconds each. After watching this I now know I need to make them at least a second shorter each in order to really create the feeling that I want. The longest shot is five seconds and is just before the character of Charlie falls over. At the end of the chase scene my victim falls over so I will try in encompass this specific finding into my work too. My chase scene was also lasting just twenty-three seconds and after watching Lost I feel I can include more shots and make my chase scene longer to make it still effective. Otherwise, if the scene in lost had finished after thirty seconds the chase would seem petty and incomplete. 

Costume:
The costume in this scene becomes really muddy and wet. Although at the start the clothes were not in the best condition throughout the scene they become significantly worse become splattered with mud and soaked right through. Kate and Jack are wearing white tops whereas Charlie is wearing black. This could relate to the previous scene where Kate and Jack purely went the the wreck to look for survivors and call for help, but Charlie just went to retrieve his drugs. It could also relate to the chase scene in that the black signifies he is the one that will get into trouble be falling over and Jack having to help him. In the picture Kate's top is supposed to be completely white whereas at the moment it gives the impression it has been dipped dyed brown. Also Jack's white t-shirt is covered in mud splatters that he has flicked up as he runs. It would be effective for me to do this as it gives the impression that the victim is running fast and not carefully to miss puddles in order to get away from what it chasing them as soon as possible. 

Sound:
Due to the music at times it is difficult to hear any sound. But when Charlie falls over the music quietens down to just discorded strings and a 'plink' on the piano. Now you hear the rain, the splatter of mud as he falls and then the sounds of the monster getting closer. The only dialogue is also when Charlie falls as Jack helps him up and tells him to run. 

Music:
The music in this scene is very prominent. It is plays throughout right until Kate stops running and hides, and we can just her her subdued cries and the sound of the torrential rain hitting the forest fall.  The music consists of a bass drum hit at random intervals, a symbol also at random intervals and a fast run of notes on string instruments. The whole thing creates a quick, tense and rather scary piece which increases the excitement of the scene and carries it along, fitting in nicely with the change of shots. I think it is necessary that I find or create some music that is similar to use in my thriller sequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment