Thursday 14 March 2013

Evaluation - Question Seven

Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

I think that I have made significant progress from producing my preliminary task to my main artefact. Firstly, in use of the camera. For my preliminary task, my camera shots and technique was very basic; using simply a tripod and pressing the record button. In my main artefact I was much more adventurous when filming. I experimented with canted shots, close-up shots, and used a harness that you can attach the camera to, to get some unusual shots of the victim. In addition to this, when editing my preliminary task I found that my clips were very short as I started recording and stopped recording where I wanted the edit. When filming my main task I kept the camera rolling for longer so the editing process was a lot easier, and I had more time to work with. I also made sure that I had several takes for each shot, for my main task. In my preliminary, I only took a couple and in some cases there were problems that I had not noticed at time of filming.

From my preliminary task to my main task, I updated the editing software that I was using. Originally, I started with Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 7.0. I found this software relatively easy to use but it was rather unreliable and kept crashing losing my work on a couple of occasion. When I upgraded my software to Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12.0 I did not have this problem and found that I had a lot more resources in terms of transitions and effects to use. When I first started editing, everything I did was done to long way, by the time I did my main task I learnt all of the short cuts to make my editing a lot easier and quicker. In my preliminary task I did not use any transitions of effects, just simple cuts. However, to add style to my main film and make it look more professional I added in cross fades, for the titles and also used a filter on most of the scene filmed in the woods to make it more dull and sinister.



There was no music used on my preliminary task, which made the whole thing appear rather boring. For my main piece, I carefully chose a piece of music that would definitely not make my sequence appear boring. The music I chose was from a copyright free thriller music CD. It gradually built up the tension to a climax where the music change pitch and speed which was perfect for my film.


Watching my preliminary task after I thought I had finished the edit, I noticed that there were a lot of issues with inconsistency of sound and also disruptions in the background. In hindsight, my organisation for the task was not very good. I chose to shoot my preliminary task at my sister's flat at university and I did not take into account the fact that the location would be in use by other people at the same time as I was filming. The filming also coincided with a football match so all of the boys living in the flat were watching that, resulting in a lot of background noise during the filming. To make sure I did not encounter too much unwanted sound I chose my primary location for my main task very carefully. I used a woods that is not very busy and made sure that I did not film when there were likely to be a lot of people about. I also made sure I did research into the weather to make sure it was not too sunny and was not raining. In addition to this, I researched heavily the opening sequences of thriller films; this gave me a key idea of all the codes and conventions that I should use in my own thriller.


I planned my main task a lot more thoroughly, making sure that the shots that I used would provide a sense of continuity when I edited them together. The location of my preliminary task was rather dull, so I made sure that I used locations that were a lot more exciting and interesting to look at. I also did not plan any costumes for my preliminary task so it was not obvious whether the characters were innocent and in danger or were the villain of the story. Moreover, none of the camera shots gave an indication of the role that the two would play in the film. To rectify both these mistakes in my main task, I carefully chose the costumes: placing my victim in white, portraying innocence and making my villain wear black to show danger and mystery. In terms of the camera angles, I made sure that I included a variety of shots that could suggest the role that the character plays in my film.

No comments:

Post a Comment