Monday 18 February 2013

Evaluation - Question Five

How did you attract/address your audience?

I attracted and addressed my audience of teenagers and young adults using several codes and conventions. Each one was used in a particular way to attract my target audience, and keep them interested in watching the remainder of the film, so it continue after the opening sequence.

Conventions:

Character: Firstly, I used a teenage girl as my main stock character. Heather is the exact age that my target audience would be so this means that the audience can identify with her easily and can relate to the story well. The other characters I used were two men, that look like someone you could pass in the street. I think this adds to the idea that anyone could be taken and anyone could take you, once again making it easier to relate for the audience. 
 


Costume: I chose Heather's costume very carefully. Firstly, I chose contemporary clothes, that would be worn by my target audience, once again allowing them to relate to her. The colour of her top is also significant in that, the white depicts her innocence, making the audience feel pity towards her and wanting to carry on watching the film to find out her fate.

Props: The props (a book, headphones, nail varnish etc) that Heather tips out of her bag also help my audience relate to the film. These everyday items, show the normality and innocence of her, and that she is not a super spy from America, that they would not be able to relate too. In addition to the victim's props, the props used for the abductor also help to attract and address audience in that alcoholism is fairly well recognised in society and there is a suggestion that the abductor is a drunk. Some of the audience may be able to relate to this character as it is possible that they know someone or can imagine someone being in that state.

Setting: The setting also helps to attract and address my audience. By using a mysterious setting of a woods the audience is captivated by what could be round the corner for the victim. The woods is very secluded which also builds tension and a sense of mystery since, there appears to be no-one around to help the victim out and no other witnesses accept the abductor and the audience to the chase. The use of the bedroom, shows how this unusual event is occurring in everyday life circumstances. When you imagine it happening to you or someone you know it seems surreal, but seeing it played out on the screen in front of you, makes it hit home and makes you more interested in the film.

Stock Characters: When an audience watches a film with a specified genre they expect to see certain characters. If I had chosen to just simply have to school children and their parents, but none of the were a victim or a villain then my target audience would not be attracted. It would not interest them to watch a thriller film that had none of the characters they were expecting to see. Therefore, in my product, I have included a victim (of the same age as my target audience, with whom they can identify to. A villain  who at first not much about him is given away, inviting
the audience to stay and watch the end of the film to find out who he is. Finally, I used a professional news presenter. When a tragedy occurs, the first thing most people think to do it to watch the news, by using a real news presenter the authenticity of my product is heightened, enticing the audience through status and also through the stock character which he plays.

Stock Events: The reasons for using stock events to attract my audience are very similar to those of using stock characters. By using a chase, a news report and a hostage situation, the audience is provided with material that follows their expectations when they watch a thriller film.

Codes:

This is a quick version of how I would envisage the front cover of
the DVD, using the original graphics from the title sequence.
Graphics: I chose the title 'Hostage' specifically to attract my audience. I found through my research that titles appear to be short and catchy like 'Se7en', which immediately intrigues the audience as to what the film is about. 'Hostage' presents the same mystery that makes the audience once to get involved. I feel if I had chosen a long title, it would not capture the audience's attention as well, and most would not bother to read it. I used the colour red for the title, which has the obvious connotations of danger. The red on the black stands out and once again, the black adds to the sense of danger and mystery. These will appeal to my target audience as young people are particularly inquisitive and like the rush of adrenaline you get from films about danger and mystery. I also made the credits move about on the screen. The erratic nature of the them once again makes it appear more dramatic and appropriate for the genre. I chose a particular unusual, 'thriller' style font, to make the title really stand out and portray the thriller genre. This means if a front cover for the DVD was to be made, the title would clearly stand out in red, on the front attracting attention from potential viewers. I used the same jittery movements for the other graphics in my title sequence once again to establish drama and tension right from the start.

Sound: The style of the graphics of my opening sequence really contrasts the sound of the birds tweeting that I have placed with it. I have done this once again because it will intrigue and grip the audience. The innocence of the birds placed with the blood red and the tension filled 'boom' suggests a psychotic side to the film, that will make the audience want to find out the conclusion of the film and if there is any meaning behind the bird noises.

Music: The music I used is very dramatic. It slowly builds up the tension to a climax, making the audience feel anticipation, and tension throughout the sequence. Young people love adrenaline, so this music will really appeal to them as it winds them up and captures there attention, whilst carrying them through the chase.

Example of one of the fades.
Editing: The editing of the sequence coincides very much with the music I have used. I know that, my target audience do not like long complicated scenes and shots. To avoid them losing interest, the pace of the editing is very fast and works with the rhythm of the music. Short shots keep the audience engaged and on the edge of their seat not giving them too much time to notice everything in the shot. The fades at the beginning completely contrast the quick short abrupt cuts of the main sequence. This attracts the audience as the sudden contrast between the two parts captures their attention. The slower editing at the end works with the dull lighting, so because it is so difficult to see the shots give the audience time to try and take in the scenes and gather information about the abductor, once again intriguing them and making them want to find out more about him.

POV: The POV shots used in the chase sequence once again entice the audience because it
makes them feel as if they are chasing the victim. By involving them more, they are more likely to be attracted and want to stay and finished the film.

Cinematography: The different ranges and angles used also add to attract the audience and keeping them interested. In conjunction, with the audience not liking long shots, they also do not like shots that look to be the same. To ensure this did not happen I made sure that I used a range of different shots and angles. 


Through all of these codes and conventions, the audience is presented with a film that follows the expectations of the drama providing them with the tension, mystery and drama that they want too see and also using subtle feature such as sound and editing to really engage all their senses in the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment